Friday, June 5, 2009

I've been everywhere, man!

Just for fun, I thought I'd list the yarn stores I've visited the past few years. Nothing like supporting the local economy, is there? I don't even want to think about the money I've "shared" in these stores.

Tucson, Ariz: Back Door Beads (not very friendly when I was there; yarn was squeezed into bins.
Tucson, Ariz: Purls (on Speedway) Great store, VERY friendly!
Albuquerque, NM: Village Wools, Inc. (wonderful store, great for spinners and weavers, too. Note: Dog on premises)
Salt Lake City, UT: Zim’s Crafts (a warehouse full of everything craftsy)
Annapolis, MD: Yarn Garden. Stuff everywhere, customers are as helpful as staff, great fun!
Ashton, MD: Fiberworks. Don't be deterred by the lack of organization; the owner knows where everything is.
Bethesda, MD:
Knit and Stitch = Bliss
Ellicott City, MD: The Celtic Knot Yarn Shop (cute shop full of insane fun people) , gone now and reopened under new management as "Large Marge".
Glyndon, MD: Woolstock Knit Shop (OMG. Literally stocked to the ceiling with yarn, sorted by color)
Baltimore, MD: Spinsters Yarn (new, funky, I see good things for this shop)
Columbia, MD: All About Yarn (nice shop, get good directions before you go; they are in an office park)
Kensington, MD: Inez’s Stitchery (some of everything in there; I’d hate to have to do inventory!)
Rockville, MD: WoolWinders: A Knitting Salon (very nice place, upper quality yarns; helpful but not fussy staff)
Funkstown MD: Y2K Knits. Cute shop with a nice garden; very inviting.
Hyattsville, MD: A Tangled Skein. I would live here if they would let me.
East Berlin, PA: The Mannings. Don't miss the annual sit n knit. Amazing selection of weaving stuff.
Alexandria, VA: Knit Happens. Yes it does.
Richmond, VA: Yarn Lounge (Great shop in a funky neighborhood. Welcoming, with places to sit and knit in peace. They gave me a calendar when they found out I had driven 85 miles just for them!)
Richmond, VA: Knitting Basket: Love this place! Best use of a basement I’ve ever seen.
Richmond, VA: Lettuce Knit (not my kind of place, but a decent shop)
Burke, VA: Yarn Barn.
Haymarket, VA: Needles in the Haymarket
The Plains, VA: Hunt Country Yarns. Pricy but unique stuff, talk to Bob.
Winchester, VA:
Never Enough Yarn. Defunct after a too-short life.
Warrenton, VA: My Favorite Yarn Store. Second best use of a basement I've ever seen -- that's where the sales stuff is.
Williamsburg, VA: Knitting Sisters (well-stocked, bright, friendly)
Yorktown, VA: Coodinated Colors: Good selection of discontinued yarns, amiable owner.
Durham, NC: Cozy (nice but not a yarn store per se, yarn is in back, beyond the clothes, jewelry and shoes)
Greensboro, NC: Stitch Point (a yarn store that’s a gift shop, or is it the other way round?)
Winston-Salem, NC: Knit One, Smock Two (great yarn store if you like quilting)
Winston-Salem, NC: Knit Picky (The store I would open if I could.)

No comments: